Wednesday, November 1, 2017

#cat - #Fed a neighbors indoor outdoor cat and now I’m worried she won’t go home.


Fed a neighbors indoor outdoor cat and now I'm worried she won't go home.

Hi there. I am not sure where to post this, so I apologize if this is not the place. I just want to disclaim that everything I did in the best situation was with best intentions and I do not know anything about caring for cats, or animals at all. I've never owned a pet of my own.

A cat showed up on my doorstep around 7am this morning and started meowing. I went outside and it came right up to me. Started wanting to cuddle all over me. She looked clean but had no collar, so I sat down and played with her for a bit. She was very friendly.

I called the nearby shelter and they said I could bring her in. Given that I am on maternity leave with my newborn son, I didn't feel comfortable letting her roam free in my car with my baby and I didn't want to let her in either (since I don't know if she is up on her shots or has fleas).

It's pretty cold out, so I emptied a hamper and put blankets inside so she could get warm if she needed to. I then posted to lost and found pet groups in my neighborhood.

Hours past, the cat is still meowing at my doorstep and every time I go outside she comes right up to me. She even hoped in my car when I needed to go to the grocery store.

I finally get a message from someone that they know the owner and they are going to give me a number to call. I had what I thought was a brilliant idea. I figured if I feed the cat, she would stick around long enough that her owner could come and get her once we got in contact. And who knows how long she's been "missing". Maybe she's starving and wants my help?

I get in touch with the neighbor and she informs me that she lives in the neighborhood and the cat is indoor/outdoor and roams the neighborhood freely. She only asked that I do not feed the cat or else she will not want to come home.

I don't know why but I didn't tell her I fed the cat. I was worried she would be furious so I didn't say anything.

What is the likelihood that this cat is not going to go home now? I only gave it maybe an ounce of tuna and some water. Will he think I'm his new home? I feel awful. Should I call the women back and tell her the truth?



Submitted November 01, 2017 at 03:09PM by atworknotworking89
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/cat/comments/7a6m2n/fed_a_neighbors_indoor_outdoor_cat_and_now_im/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment