Friday, June 15, 2018

#cat - #It has been a Year


It has been a Year

A year ago on June 11th I lost my beautiful and loyal Tristan. He was 2.5 years old. He woke me up with meowing and crying and I knew I was going to lose him. It was a Sunday morning so I had to take him to an emergency vet. I was told he had renal failure and he needed a $5,000 surgery but it was not guaranteed to work. I made the very difficult decision to put him down. This was the first time in my life where I finally knew what heart ache really meant. I hope he knows how much I loved him & how much I miss him.

I still feel like I betrayed him because I got another kitten a few days after I put him down. My family and friends urged me to adopt another kitten because they knew how much cats help with my depression. I went to the humane society although I was very ambivalent. There were no kittens I felt drawn to until I saw Sabbath. He had been brought in at 2 weeks because he was not thriving and not eating. He was deemed "unsustainable" by the humane society. They had thought he would not survive. He was 8 weeks old when I adopted him. He was doing better and aside from a cold when I first got him (which I treated by grinding up vitamin C and mixed with some wet food) he is now most definitely thriving. Yesterday marks a year of having him. He is pure black and since one of my favorite bands is Black Sabbath, I named him Sabbath.

I must admit, I still feel like I betrayed Tristan by getting another kitten days after his sudden death. Tristan has been my most favorite and loyal cat I have ever had. At the time of his death I was in a severe depression so I had hoped by getting another kitten (especially in knowing Sabbath was not thought to survive) that ultimately, it was a good thing. Sabbath is definitely a stinker and he is lethal with his biting. I've never had a cat that bites so that is still an adjustment. However, he is a very smart boy. We play hide and seek & peek a boo, lol.

I wanted to share this as a tribute to Tristan. I sure hope I see him again. Losing him has been the hardest loss I've ever experienced. I've lost a few friends to suicide and addiction but losing Tristan was much harder than those. I love you Tristan!

https://imgur.com/a/EVHrxiZ



Submitted June 15, 2018 at 07:12PM by peaceandlight4me
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/cat/comments/8rfyrz/it_has_been_a_year/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment