Tuesday, October 23, 2018

#cat - #Question for feline vet: Is moist/cold noise an indicator of good/ok health? Even if the cat is throwing up food?


Question for feline vet: Is moist/cold noise an indicator of good/ok health? Even if the cat is throwing up food?

I have a sensitive cat, about 10 years old now. When she came to me at about 3 years old, she was skittish and throwing up food fairly frequently. It mostly stopped after she figured out how to get under the blanket and sleep with me. I figured the throwing up was due to insecurity induced stress.

She wedges between my arm and body with her head on my shoulder under the blanket. It is indeed very sweet. For years, I let her even though my shoulder gets sore in the morning when I wake up. At least, she slept through the night for the most part, and I got waken up by her going out and then back in no more than 5 times each night. Not ideal, but I tolerated.

Unfortunately, as she gets older, her sleep gets erratic. She'd get in position, purr, and I fall asleep or am about to. Then she'd get up and leave the blanket. A couple of minutes later, she would gently tap my cheek or shoulder. If I don't lift the blanket, she taps harder and faster before turning into scratching (without exposing nails). This is repeated a dozen times and sometimes more. The poor sleep quality has been affecting my health.

I started sleeping with my bedroom door closed with her (and other cats) out of the bedroom. Shortly after that change, she started throwing up on a regular basis, somedays more frequently than other days. Food was never changed. I think she's stressed out again. I try to give her a lot of love when I can. I do spend long hours out of the house at work, but every evening, I lie down on my yoga mat and she's in my arm or on my chest in a blink of eye. I hold her for 20+ minutes. I whisper to her I still love her a lot. On average a day a week, I don't close the bedroom door to let her sleep with me when I can afford a night of poor sleep. But she's still throwing up.

However, she is still of healthy weight. She does not throw up every single day (maybe every other or 3rd day). She's playful. Her nose is moist and cold. A trip over the mountain roads to see a vet (45min drive) will be EXTREMELY frightening to her, and I don't think a vet can work her psychology effectively. So, at this point, I'm still trying to work the situation out myself with her. But, am I making a mistake? What could a vet do anyway?



Submitted October 23, 2018 at 01:10PM by alwayswant2learn
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/cat/comments/9qs339/question_for_feline_vet_is_moistcold_noise_an/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment