Thursday, December 6, 2018

#cat - #My cat is seriously high maintenance. What can I do?


My cat is seriously high maintenance. What can I do?

So about 2 years ago we adopted a male kitten, Tux. I was pretty sure he was lonely when we weren't around, so we rescued a second cat (female and the same age). After introductions they got on so well. They groom each other, cuddle up together and play all the time. However, my second cat, Zoom, is so much work. They sleep downstairs because Tux snores and Zoom bites my hand while I sleep because i'm not stroking her. Zoom yowls and scratches the carpet downstairs when I am up but haven't come down yet. I don't feed them immediately when I wake because I don't want them to associate me getting up with food. But she follows me and yowls and jumps on top of me while I use the toilet, go on my phone, PC or whatever. She won't sit down on my lap either, she just paces back and forth. Anyway, when I do feed them I get ten minutes of peace. Then she's back at it, following me around. She jumps on top of open doors and tries to jump off them onto my back as I walk by. Don't even get me started on her toilet habits. If we are gone for a few hours, or if the litter trays have been used once (tends to happen in the night) she will urinate or defecate on our carpet. We clean it with enzymatic cleaner so there shouldn't be any scent left. She will do this maybe once a fortnight. When she does do it, she'll do it multiple times in a day. The cats are also not allowed upstairs when we are out as Zoom will urinate on our bed or our clothes while we are out. Tux is no trouble at all, he likes to snooze, play and be stroked. How on earth can I deal with Zoom? I work from home so I don't get a break from her at all, and it is very stressful and overwhelming trying to work while she is doing this. If i let her into my office she will jump all over the desk, howl in my face and block the screen. If I shut her out she will cry and scratch up the carpet by the door. She will do it for hours and I can't just sit her out because I rent and the carpet is already becoming noticably torn. I have tried covering it with a mat but she just pees on the mat instead. The only time I am not stressed is when I am sleeping! How can I help her to be easier to live with? I live in a fairly safe area, would letting her outside provide a bit more stimulation perhaps?

Just for info both are neutered/spayed, vaccinated and indoor cats. We have had them both together for about 9 months. Zoom wasn't spayed before she came to us, but we had her done during the first week. There was no info given about her past, other than that she was being bullied by the cat she lived with in her prior home, which I assumed was because they were both unspayed females and she was the younger of the two. The vet has said Zoom is fit and healthy.



Submitted December 06, 2018 at 01:38PM by MajesticRoutine
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/cat/comments/a3s0t7/my_cat_is_seriously_high_maintenance_what_can_i_do/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment