Friday, December 7, 2018

#cat - #Please help!! What should you do with stray kittens?


Please help!! What should you do with stray kittens?

I live in an apartment building, and we have a feral group of cats that live around. They are familiar with people and most of us feed them when we can. Well, one of the females got pregnant.

First off, I know that we need to get these cats spayed/neutered, but I've been having a hard time getting in contact with a group to do this. This is still in progress.

What I'm most worried about is a specific kitten. There are two kittens and I believe both male. They are maybe 10 weeks old.

At first, Kitten A was very friendly and Kitten B was very timid. Kitten B was also much smaller than Kitten A, maybe half the size. Kitten B was so timid that he wouldn't eat when I put food out. I was worried about him and started intentionally making his own pile and making sure it went to him and not the other cats.

Over time, Kitten B has started coming to me by himself. He isn't around the other cats as much, and has grown very close to me. I think Kitten A is doing well, he has become less friendly towards me and much closer to the other cats, which I think is a good thing.

Now, Kitten B waits outside and meows when he sees me for food. He's gained a lot of weight and is catching up to Kitten A. He is extremely affectionate, purring and loving the pets. He's so sweet.

I have been telling myself not to get too involved and that this is his life and that he's being like this towards me because of food, but last night changed my mind.

He was crying as usual and I went out to feed him, pet him and loved on him, and then had to go inside to take care of some things. There's a little window where he can see me and he started crying at the window when he saw me. He's got food, and he's still crying for me. When I opened the door, he started going back and forth, playing with the idea of coming inside. When I started petting him, he actually rolled over and let me pet his tummy, and then went back to eating.

I believe he was the runt, and I know that the other cats will try to push the weakest out. Of course, I dont know this for sure. The thing is that I would love to take him in but ultimately it would change his entire world and he would not ever see the other cats again. I do not want to do that to him unless it is worth it.

For some background, I have two cats in the house that are siblings. They are siamese and about two years old. I don't know how the react, but they are extremely friendly with dogs and people. They have been smelling the kitten on me every day and at least he's a kitten that is around other cats, but I know there's no guarentee it would work out.

Please help! I really care about this kitten and want to do the best for everyone. Any comment, questions, ideas welcome.



Submitted December 07, 2018 at 11:44AM by LucidZelda
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/cat/comments/a42r9l/please_help_what_should_you_do_with_stray_kittens/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment