Saturday, November 3, 2018

#cat - #Not sure if it’s my cats time or not


Not sure if it's my cats time or not

I'm (21F) new to reddit and looking for some advice about my cat that I've had since I was 8yrs old. He is a 13 year old main coon. I'm looking for advice on wether or not I should consider having him euthanized.

He has been a healthy (although overweight) happy indoor-outdoor cat all his life. Over this past summer he started to have issues that I thought coincided with moving houses (he is not used to moving he lived in the same house until he was 10 and has moved a few times since then) such as puking a lot and generally being very vocal, keeping me up at night etc. The issues continued for longer so I knew it was something more serious. He couldn't keep down his food at all and started to lose weight and I thought it may have been that he couldn't digest his hard food anymore so I switched him to wet food. This seemed to help a ton but after a while he started losing weight really rapidly. I can feel most of his bones now when I pet him which is startling for me because he's been overweight his whole life. When the temperature rose during the summer he started having a particularly difficult time, was extremely vocal all the time, meowing, would not let me sleep more than a few hours, started throwing up again often, and would often sit there breathing with his mouth open and his breathing was very fast and sometimes labored. I took him to the vet and they said he was basically in heart failure and his breathing was waaay too fast for normal and he was probably always out of breath and uncomfortable. I decided to have him euthanized but took him home for a few days first so my siblings that also grew up with him could say goodbye and what not. At this point the heat spell seemed to be over and he almost immediately started to seem better. He stopped breathing with his mouth open and his breathing slowed right back down to almost normal. He wasn't as vocal and stopped throwing up. So I decided to wait it out and see. It's been a few months since then and he has seemed generally okay, his breathing almost always seems normal, and he seems content when I'm around. He has gone back to throwing up fairly often though, maybe once, twice a week, and he's still skin and bones, and my mother claims he's had diarrhea a few times while I wasn't there. He is also always always hungry and meowing for food and since he's been losing so much weight and is skin and bones I have just been feeding him whenever he whines for food because I feel like there's no harm done feeding him more at this point? But he's constantly eating and doesn't gain weight. I feel bad thinking about this as well but the stains on my carpet are becoming an issue as I'm renting ๐Ÿ˜“. Just looking for some advice, I've had 2 pets euthanized when I was a kid but that was all up to my parents and now it's all up to me and I'm struggling with it a bit, sorry my post is so long.

Tl;dr: my cat became really sick over the summer and I made the decision to have him euthanized but he has since recovered, somewhat. Not sure if I should still have him euthanized, and can't really decide if his quality of life is okay enough.



Submitted November 03, 2018 at 01:47PM by redditaccount7884
via reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/cat/comments/9tx2uz/not_sure_if_its_my_cats_time_or_not/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment